As promised, I return this week with several more reflections on writing. I began conceiving 36 Reflections on Writing last Thursday, two days after my 36th birthday. I must admit that the number 36 is completely arbitrary, and that, like much of my writing, I began not knowing how I would end. Of course I picked 36 as my number of suggestions in an effort to celebrate my 36 years... but I suppose time will tell whether or not we'll make it to the end. That brings me to my first thought for today...
7. It's okay to not know where you're going. I hear that there are lots of authors out there who map out, in great detail, exactly where they are headed. I must confess that I almost never work that way. I start with an idea to follow it and see where it takes me. Sure, there are some dead ends (and lots of u-turns), but for the most part, I almost never know where I'm going. I personally think it's okay to write without knowing how I'll end something. In fact, I prefer working this way. This brings me to my next reflection.
8. Just get started. As mentioned above, not knowing how everything will shake out is no reason to delay a beginning. I know some writers who talk themselves into writer's block because they don't have it all together in their head. Whether I'm writing for academics or my personal life, the first step for me is always to start somewhere. I'm not big into pre-writing, either (sorry, English teachers!). I just need to start typing. If it doesn't turn out, that's what the backspace key is for.
9. Sometimes you find a gem in the junk. I've written more than my fair share of garbage over the years. I've never let that stop me from pursuing writing, but I've also learned that even in the worst writing exercises I've attempted, there's almost always something to be admired somewhere in there. Sometimes you have to write a bunch of crap before you know what you want to say, and even after you know what you want to write, sometimes you have to write your way into it. Thus, a lot of my most boring sentence structures, most trite descriptions, and lackluster language usage have paved the way for the kind of sentences I want to hang on my refrigerator. (Relax, I'm not that big of a nerd. The fridge has a ladybug made by Shay hanging on it now, as well as Kaliah's report card).
10. Parenthetical casualties can save a chapter. I learned this one while revising and editing my dissertation. Having always been too fond of the Faulknerian sentence, it was difficult for me to balance the need to write clearly and concisely with my desire to vividly craft eloquent sentences. I've probably always relied way too much on dashes, parentheticals, and other tricks that allow me to continue stringing words together when my poor reader is desperately seeking a period. In the back and forth commenting my chair and I engaged in as I submitted draft after draft of my writing, I remember typing "another parenthetical casualty," with just a bit of resentment, as I'd removed yet another parenthetical phrase at her request. "Yes, but you saved the chapter," she wrote back. As I read my earlier versions of the work, I had to admit that she was right. That leads me to number eleven.
11. Get yourself a friendly critical reader. You need them because they're going to give you a perspective that you can't find on your own. When you're too close to your writing, you aren't going to notice all the ways it can be improved. Notice I also said friendly, here--because, really, who wants an unfriendly critic? You need someone who can be honest about both the good and bad.
And the last one for today...
12. Picture your Ideal Reader. Maybe you're not ready to share with a real reader yet. Maybe time doesn't allow for this. Maybe your readers are TOO friendly, and won't be honest. When I was a senior in college, Rashieme came to my senior reading. His resting facial expression isn't all that inviting, I suppose--my creative writing professor noticed him, and was, unbeknownst to me, watching him throughout the event. Now, I didn't notice this, because I was reading--but apparently, as Rashieme got into the writing I was sharing, his expression changed. He leaned forward in his seat. He nodded along to parts of the writing that moved him. "Did you see that guy?" My professor asked me, later. Not knowing he was my boyfriend, my prof went on to describe how Rashieme arrived looking bored but became animated halfway through my reading. "Write like you're trying to hook that guy with the first sentence!" Dr. Horner instructed. Stephen King has called that person that you write for your "Ideal Reader." Whether real or imagined, it might be helpful to envision how your writing will be perceived by someone else.
That's all for today, folks! Speaking of ideal readers, I'm thankful for all of you. Hopefully those of you who write found something useful here today, but even if that's not the case, thanks, as always, for dropping by!
No comments:
Post a Comment