So, a few months ago, I had started a series of posts exploring my Thoughts On Writing, and I had ambitiously decided to come up with thirty-six reflections on my relationship with writing in celebration of my thirty-sixth birthday.
That was a stupid idea.
Well, maybe the idea was okay. And if I really wanted to, I could probably continue pushing myself to come up with tidbits to share... but the problem is, as it usually is, that my intentions are good, but my commitment to my execution? Not so much.
Maybe that should be something I learn about writing: Follow through!
But the truth is, when it matters, I do.
I finished my dissertation--on time, even!
I've finished a draft of my latest book-length project--a memoir.
I finish short stories. I finish essays. Sometimes I even finish poems, though I rarely share those.
But just as often, I do leave things unfinished. Maybe this is the life of the writer--abandon some projects in favor of others. Know when to save it for later, or perhaps, call time of death.
I'm calling time of death on Thoughts on Writing. Writing about writing is fun and all, and the thirty-six ways were a challenge to help me keep my commitment to post more regularly.
(You see how well that worked out).
But they've served their purpose--I got a few posts out of the project (three to be exact, for a grand total of EIGHTEEN THOUGHTS ON WRITING!), and as usually happens this time of the year, no matter what my intentions, blogging is now taking a backseat.
To grading and planning and meetings.
To school: Both my own work (it is a nice change of pace to not be a student, for once in the last eight semesters!) as well as each of my daughters' schools (Yes, Shay goes to SCHOOL now--can you believe it?).
To searching for crock pot recipes. To preparing crock pot recipes.
To losing the never ending war that is trying to clean my house.
To rooting for the Ravens and dealing with the jubilee and despair my fandom brings me.
To scheduling time with Rashieme and Kaliah and Shay--whereas lazy summer days allow us to spend time together--or not--as we see fit, I have to be more intentional about allocating time for and to my family when the chaos of the academic semester starts revving up.
To writing other stuff--for work, for me, for church.
So yeah, my thoughts on writing? I've thought enough about it. Lol.
I'd rather spend the time I would have dedicated to writing about writing to writing something else--because at the end of the day, our time is limited. I've written enough about being a writer.
I want to write about living.
And as the great Henry David Throeau once said, "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."
No comments:
Post a Comment